If you don’t already have a skincare routine, now is a good time to start. Having a regular routine helps your skin to better adjust to the active ingredients in the products you will be using. Here is a general skincare routine that seems to work for people.
- Cleanse-Choose a mild facial cleanser according to your skin type:oily, dry, normal, or combination.
- Tone-After cleansing, toner removes any excess dirt and acts as a topical anti-inflammatory. Choose an alcohol-free type containing witchhazel if you have dry or sensitive skin.
- Sunscreen-After toner, use EVERYDAY. For more info on sunscreen go here.
- Moisturizer-On top of sunscreen after it has dried, if you need extra moisturizer for dry skin.
- Cleanse again
- Tone again
- Exfoliate-After cleansing, for a deeper clean-out of the pores. More on exfoliation here.
- Antioxidants-I use a vitamin C serum at night. Antioxidants protect the skin from free radicals and also provide extra protection from the sun that may have escaped from sunscreen. More on topical antioxidants here. Note: Antioxidants are most beneficial if used at night, before bed.
- Moisturizer-If needed. Remember that our skin is most receptive to products when we sleep, so if you have dry skin, this extra step to moisturize may be very effective.
What are your favorite skincare products?